Friday, January 29, 2016

Sex Sells

I am going to try my hardest to keep this from sounding snide, rude, and/or too offensive, but to be honest I've got a bone to pick with society. Normally, I wouldn't complain about something like this because I don't typically take to heart what the people around me say (unpopular opinion: safe spaces are stupid, most people are way too sensitive, and the internet is festering with way too much misplaced offense). This opinion seems to be so prevalent, though, that it has finally sunk through my thick skin and managed to piss me off. What's got me so puffed up? The whole idea behind the logic of "sex sells". Yes. It does. Very well. However, for me, the idea that I could ever want to sell my brand, my name, my books, my writing that I put so much time, effort and energy into just on the merit of having a pretty face is infuriating!

"You're pretty so you'll get tons of likes/followers in no time."
"Show a little skin and you'll earn yourself plenty of devoted fans!"
"You've got all this stuff going on pertaining to the writing stuff, but have you tried posting more pictures of yourself?"

These are all direct quotes from people I know and care about. These were their responses to me telling them about all of the hard work I've been putting into getting my writing career off the ground. I was appalled by their disregard for all of that and their focus on the most shallow, irrelevant aspect of the whole venture: my personal appearance. This also seems to be the general consensus about how to get most things done nowadays. Slap a pretty woman on the front or put a nearly naked woman in your ad, that'll draw in customers and fans!

The way I look should have no impact on anyone's decision to read my work, follow any of my pages, or support me in any way. It may be my pride spurring me to say this, but I feel that it is degrading to my intelligence and my creativity and skill as a writer for people to think that my success hinges on whether or not I'm"pretty." I never want anyone to look at me and be able to say that I only got where I am because of the way I look.

For all of you who follow me who are yourselves aspiring writers, thinkers, creators, I pray that you know that the way you look doesn't affect your creation. The way you dress, the color/ length/ style of your hair does not make you better or worse at your craft. How well you do your makeup, or how much skin you show should not hinder or advance your success at whatever you're striving to do. And any society or group of people that tries to tell you it does or should is cruel, unfair, and frankly is one that I do not wish to humor. So, don't worry about those flyaway strands escaping from your messy bun as you busily work at your computer. Don't bother fixing your makeup if you don't want. Guys, let your beard grow a few days more without trimming it. Let that one bothersome nose hair be free and wave in the wind if it wants.

Personally, I will spend my days in sweatpants and Uggs when I want. There will be days where I decide that my hair is an untameable beast and just let it fly. I won't fix my makeup or cover up my zits sometimes. I won't worry about having the perfect pose or setup in pictures because MY FACE DOESN'T MATTER.  I will keep creating, and I will keep pushing forward on the merit of my hard work rather than using the "sex sells" technique. Truthfully, I hope to be read and loved long after my hair has turned grey, my skin has gone soft, and my tattoos have become things out of Dahli paintings. That said, here, have a link to my stories. Because now that I've ranted about how I don't want you to look at my face but at my work, you should have the opportunity to look at my work.

3 comments:

  1. Your entry made me remember a snippet from an episode of House. I'm paraphrasing since it's been a while since I saw the episode, but the exchange went a bit like this:
    House: You could have been a model. People would have given you stuff, lots of stuff. No one who looks like you becomes a doctor unless they're as damaged as they are beautiful.
    Cameron: My opinion shouldn't be invalidated just because I'm pretty.

    Personally, the only pictures I'm interested in seeing are your tattoos. I love tattoos! Stick to your guns. People who only care about your face will be too shallow to understand your writing, so they were never really your audience anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's perfect! And Cameron is totally right. Beauty and brains can totally go together, but no one should judge a person's skill or intelligence based on their appearance, and it definitely shouldn't determine whether someone does well in their chosen field.

    I love tattoos as well! If you're interested, I'll make a post with pictures of mine on the Instagram page :)

    Thanks so much for commenting and weighing in, Ash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! People shouldn't be judged based on their appearance. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works.

    That would be awesome! You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete