Monday, January 25, 2016

Work Through It

Today has just been one of those days. I've felt since I woke up that I've been driving on the left side of the road (I live in the US, so this is a bad thing!) and everything has decided to work against me. But in the midst of the clustercuss, I remembered a lesson that my mom tried time and again to ingrain in my brain growing up. Sometimes, no matter how off a day may be, how terrible you may feel, and even if your tea gets cold (I steeped a cup to take to school with me and by the time I was finished combating my morning and made it to class it was cold *sad face*) sometimes you have to flip life the bird and keep going anyway.  That's my paraphrase of course. My mom would say more along the lines of "Sometimes you just have to work through all of the negativity and obstacles that get thrown your way and hope for better the next day."

Here's what happened. This morning, after a series of unfortunate (and cold) events that must have been a form of karmic punishment for something terrible I did (unknowingly of course), I rebelled against everything inside of me that told me to say "To hell with it!" and go right back to bed... I went to class. Then, exhausted as I was (I've been having trouble sleeping) I didn't nap in the two hours between my first and second classes of the day. Instead, I stayed awake and caught up on secretarial work for my student center that I was behind on due to the onset of Snowmageddon 2016. More karmic punishment ensued during my second class as the student in the desk behind mine spent the entire hour dramatically deep breathing and sighing on the back of my neck. Now, surprising even myself, when I escaped from the hot breath of Mr.McBreathey, I still didn't take advantage of the two hours I had between my second and third classes of the day to nap. Rather, I chose to get ahead in my reading for the next class and do some research into SEO techniques. Finally, after an hour long monotoned exegesis of a single Aristotelian idea, I drove home, listening to the squeal of my brake pads, which apparently decided that a high-pitched screaming song from them would make my day better.

My mother would be proud, I think, if I were to call her up and say, "Guess what I did today!" Because her lesson stuck with me. Today is a day that I think would have been much better if I'd simply listened to the little voice in my head that said, "Go back to bed." However, I kept moving forward. I trudged through the day and have made it to the point where I can sprawl out on my couch with no pants on and listen to the sounds of my favorite YouTuber carry on comically as I work on the chapter I'll be releasing on Wednesday. And, though I don't feel particularly spectacular (got a bit of a tummy ache, actually), I do feel proud of myself that even on such a bad day I can say that I did well and got things done. I adulted well today.

I realize that as an adult there are always going to be days like this one that pop up and do their best to bring me down. I also realize that I won't succeed in any of my adventures if I let them. Achieving my goals is all about keeping this wonderful momentum I've worked up, so I know that it's important for me to brace myself, keep my head up, and work through it.

1 comment:

  1. What a day it's been, y'all. Thanks for being lovely :)

    ReplyDelete